AILA Travel Grant Scholarship
The American Indian Library Association (AILA) will provide financial assistance to two library professionals currently working in a tribal library of any kind to attend the 2019 ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C.
Deadline: May 3, 2019
The AILA 2018 Conference Travel Scholarship will provide $1200.00 to support attendance at the ALA Annual Conference, June 20-25, 2019 in Washington, D.C. This will be used to help cover registration and travel expenses.
REQUIRED CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
- Applicant must be a current AILA member in good standing
- Applicant must be working in tribal library of any kind OR Applicant must be an active member of an AILA committee
PREFERRED CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
- Applicant possesses a master’s degree or doctoral degree in library and/or information science
- Applicant is American Indian, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian
- Applicant is enrolled in a federally recognized tribe
- Applicant has not previously received an AILA Travel Grant
- Completed AILA Conference Travel Scholarship Application: Fill out the Scholarship Application Form, then submit it.
- Statement of Need: Please state in 500 words or less the reason you are requesting travel assistance
- E-mail both the AILA Conference Travel Scholarship Application and the Statement of Need to: Holly Tomren (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The AILA Scholarship Committee will select the Travel Scholarship recipients.
- Application deadline: May 3, 2019
- Award Recipients are notified: May 17, 2019
- Travel award check distributed prior to conference: May 31, 2019
- Conference report due to AILA Newsletter Editor: July 31, 2019
- Proof of conference registration must be provided to the AILA Recognition Committee before check will be distributed to recipient.
- Recipients are required to attend AILA meetings and programs at the conference and to report back on their experience in the AILA newsletter.
- The scholarship shall be administered under the Bylaws of AILA.
CONDITION OF GRANT
- Recipients must use the scholarship for travel expenses to and from the conference and attend attend AILA meetings and programs. In case the terms of the scholarship are violated, the Scholarship will be rescinded and the recipient is required to return the funds in full amount to AILA.
- In the event that no applicants satisfy the criteria, no travel awards will be given, with the option to grant additional awards the following year.
- Scholarship recipients are eligible to reapply for the scholarship in a subsequent year, but may not receive a scholarship award for more than 2 consecutive years.
- AILA requires recipients to report on the conference experience for the AILA newsletter.
- Total scholarship awards of $600 or more from AILA in one calendar year are subject to federal income tax.